26 April 2013

Hand Dyed Rikke Hat

Welcome to another Fibre Arts Friday!  I am still in the mindless projects only phase, this week I'm showing you a very simple hat that is in progress. It's the Rikke Hat by Sarah Young, pattern available for free on Ravelry.

I'm using a skein of unknown yarn from my stash that I dyed sometime ago with KoolAid. I wasn't too sure about it when it came out the dye pot so it's been sitting in my stash...
When I was looking for the perfect yarn for the Rikke Hat this skein screamed at me and practically jumped into my hands, so here it is...
It's a bit hard to get the true colour which is somewhere between the two photos. The pattern itself is very easy although some might say that knitting garter stitch in the round is a bit tiresome, but it is a mindless project regardless which is what I need right now (No, the trial is still not finished but the end is in sight, really!). I also learnt to do the German twisted cast on as recommended by the pattern for a more stretchy edge. There are many videos showing how to do this on YouTube, I followed the instructions by TheKnitWitch.

Now show us what you've been doing in the wonderful fibre arts world :)

Thanks for dropping by, there is more fibre arts fun at Wisdom Begins in Wonder. Indulge your creative side and join the party!


7 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting to do a German Twist when I cast on! Especially for hats. Must commit to memory. Wait, I have no memory left!!! Have a great weekend. I just finished a red shawl, looks like it would be close to the color of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dyed skein is *perfect* for a garter stitch hat - love it!

    And oh, aren't you just numb at this point in the trial? Good thing you have pointy sticks to keep you awake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn is so very pretty. I have no idea what the German Twist cast on is... so I'll have to check it out. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I tried dyeing with koolaid I always got pastel colors, maybe I diluted it too much. Garter stitch hat sounds like perfect mindless project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really loving red right now and yours is very nice. There is nothing better than a good mindless project for those days when you've had way too much going on. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That color is perfect! It's always fun when you knit with yarn you've dyed or spun. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised that you got such luscious, deep red with Kool-Aid! My projects always turn out rather 'pink'! :)

    ReplyDelete